The essence of clean eating is to consume food in its most natural state. It is truly a lifestyle approach to eating and is very beneficial to women with PCOS. Processed and refined foods wreak havoc with hormone levels. So clean eating will actually help you begin to balance your hormones. As insulin, cortisol, testosterone, progesterone, estrogen, and thyroid become more in balance PCOS symptoms will be alleviated.
1. Avoid processed and refined foods such as white flour, sugar, breads & pasta. Instead eat whole grains like oatmeal and quinoa.
2. Drink two liters of purified water per day
3. Avoid sugar, high-fructose corn-syrup, artificial sweeteners, artificial sweeteners and colors, MSG, trans-fats and high saturated fat.
4. Eat packaged foods with 5 or less all- natural ingredients. Any product with a long ingredient list is generally man-made and not “clean”
5. Make alcohol a rare indulgence. A glass of red wine is fine once and a while. But after a glass the benefits are reversed.
6. Eat every 3-4 hours.
7. Always combine a lean protein and complex carb at every meal/snack.
8. Take your food with you. Make sure you have snacks packed with you so you have clean eats wherever you go.